Friday, April 24, 2009

Human Resources and YOUR job hunt

Human Resources departments differ from one organization to another. A larger organization may have a separate HR Recruiter whereas in a smaller organization, the HR Manager does all human resources functions (much more than compensation and benefits go into HR).

HR however will usually write the job description in conjunction with the department manager/director who is looking for the new employee.

HR will most likely receive all resumes, cover letters and applications.

HR will most likely prepare a list of questions which are appropriate to ask during an interview.

HR may or may not be a part of the interview team.

This said, your paperwork (cover letter, resume, reference list and applications) will most likely be collected and initially reviewed by HR. From the large pool of applicants, HR may select and forward a smaller list of potential candidates, to the hiring manager (the ultimate decision maker) or to a selection committee. From there, a list of interviewees is compiled and the interviews begin.

This said, HR plays a huge role in your selection - if you don't get past HR, you won't be in the interview pool.

So....ask yourself.....
  1. Is my application neat and able to be read?
  2. Did I answer all questions and fill in all the blanks on the application?
  3. Did I follow the instructions in the application? (did you even read the instructions????)
  4. Is my cover letter neat, to the point and easy to read?
  5. Is my cover letter and/or resume all about me? (do you use the word "I" allot? If so, you are giving the impression that the job is about you and not the employer).
  6. Do I let the employer know what knowledge, skills and abilities I have?
  7. Do I let the employer know how I can save or make him/her money?
  8. Do I keep your cover letter to one page?
  9. Is my resume 1-2 pages?

If you spoke with the decision maker, which a good job hunter will have done, do I use the decision maker's name in my cover letter or do I address the letter to the HR person and not let him/her know I have spoken to the decision maker? (Do NOT blind-side HR - let them know you have spoken to the decision maker).

HR can help or hinder you - follow their directions, turn in neat, well-written documents and ask them questions if need be.